top of page
Search

Q: Can my 6-year-old still have adenoid surgery if pre-op X-rays show bronchopneumonia?

3 hours ago
3 min read

Medically reviewed by Sang Hyun Ahn, MD

Content edited by Myeongchan Kim, MD


This post is a dramatization of a question and answer session experienced by our actual medical reviewers. Please note that this content is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. Always consult with a qualified healthcare professional for any health concerns or before making any decisions related to your health or treatment.


Question:

Hello doctor, my 6-year-old child (30kg) has an upcoming adenoid surgery that we have been waiting for a year to get. We did the pre-op tests recently, and I received a call saying the X-ray showed signs of bronchopneumonia. They told us to consult a pediatrician to see if the surgery is still possible. My child only has a stuffy nose and an occasional cough, so I was shocked to hear it's pneumonia. Since we waited a year for this, we really want to proceed. Does having bronchopneumonia mean the surgery is impossible? Would hospitalizing my child be a good way to treat it quickly so we can keep the surgery date? Thank you!

Illustration for the question: Can my 6-year-old still have adenoid surgery if pre-op X-rays show bronchopneumonia?

Answer:

I completely understand how anxious you must be, especially after waiting a full year for this surgery.


Whether the surgery needs to be delayed depends entirely on the current state of the pneumonia. If it is an active pneumonia infection, surgery is usually postponed due to the high risk of respiratory complications during anesthesia. However, an X-ray finding alone is not enough to make a final decision. A doctor needs to evaluate the actual symptoms, listen to your child's chest with a stethoscope, and potentially run blood tests (such as checking white blood cell count and CRP levels) to get the full picture. If your child is mostly asymptomatic or the X-ray is merely showing traces of an infection that is already in the recovery phase, it may still be possible to proceed with the surgery.


Regarding your question about hospitalization, being admitted to the hospital is not necessary just to speed up the process. If your child has no difficulty breathing, no high fever, and no drop in oxygen saturation, outpatient treatment is perfectly sufficient. Hospitalization will not move the surgery date forward; ensuring the pneumonia is safely resolved is the top priority for your child's safety.


Here are your next steps:

  1. Visit a Pediatrician ASAP: The pediatrician will determine if the pneumonia is active, recovering, or just a lingering trace. They will check if antibiotics are necessary and determine if a reassessment in a few days is possible.

  2. Coordinate with the Surgeon: After the pediatric evaluation, discuss the results with the ENT (ear, nose, and throat) department. If it is a mild case, your child might only need 1 to 2 weeks of antibiotics before the surgery can safely take place.


Watch for Warning Signs:

Please seek immediate medical evaluation if your child develops any of the following symptoms:

  • Rapid breathing (over 40 breaths per minute) or chest retractions (skin pulling in under the ribs when breathing).

  • A fever of 38.0°C (100.4°F) or higher.

  • A worsening cough that makes eating or sleeping difficult.


The safest approach right now is to confirm the exact status of the pneumonia with your pediatrician, complete any necessary treatment, and proceed with the surgery only when it is confirmed safe to undergo anesthesia.

Illustration for a doctor's answer about: Can my 6-year-old still have adenoid surgery if pre-op X-rays show bronchopneumoni…

For extra peace of mind and clear guidance when tracking your child's symptoms, the FeverCoach app is always there to help.



Download FeverCoach on the App Store
Get FeverCoach on Google Play




🌐 Also available in: Español · 한국어

 
 
bottom of page